Welkom! ~ добре дошъл! ~ স্বাগত! ~ Dobrodošli! ~ Vítejte! ~ Velkommen ~ Tere tulemast! ~ Maligayang pagdating! ~ Tervetuloa! ~ Bienvenue! ~ Willkommen! ~ Καλώς ήρθατε! ~ આપનું સ્વાગત છે! ~ आपका स्वागत है! ~ Üdvözöljük! ~ Benvenuto! ~ Laipni lūdzam! ~ Sveiki atvykę! ~ Selamat datang! ~ Witamy! ~ Bem-vindo! ~ Chào mừng bạn! ~ Bine ai venit! ~ Добро пожаловать! ~ ¡Bienvenido! ~ Karibu! ~ Välkommen! ~ வருக! ~ ยินดีต้อนรับ! ~ Hoşgeldiniz! ~ Ласкаво просимо!
ברוך הבא! ~ خوش آمدید! ~ خوش آمدید! ~ ترحيب!
Who should visit the Newcomer Welcome Centre?
Any student new to the Simcoe County District School Board who is:
- born outside of Canada and has landed in the country in the past 4 years
- a permanent resident, refugee, has diplomatic status or is accompanying parents with a work or study permit
- new to Canada, within the last 4 years, who has attended another school system in Canada
- born outside of Canada to Canadian citizen parents but doesn't have a proof of Canadian citizenship
Please note: a child born outside of Canada to Canadian citizen parents and has proof of Canadian citizenship may register directly at the school. Proof of the child's Canadian citizenship is required for registration at the school.
What to expect during your visit?
During your visit, we
- complete school registration forms
- get copies of the required
documents necessary to meet the Ministry of Education’s Ontario Student
Record (OSR) guidelines
- provide you with information about our
school board and education system.
What documents should you bring to your visit?
- Student’s birth certificate (foreign or otherwise) to show proof of age and establish a relationship to parent
- Proof of:
- Canadian citizenship
- Permanent resident status
- Work permit
- Study permit
- Refugee certificate
- Passport of the student and parents
- Proof of residency ie. rental contract, bank statement, utility bill
- Student's vaccination record
- Official report/transcripts from previous school
Math and English Assessments
Most elementary and
secondary students from non-English speaking countries complete an
English proficiency and Math assessment. These observations will be
shared with the family and used by the school to facilitate the
student’s program placement, thus enhancing student success. This visit
may take up to two hours and families are encouraged to book an
appointment by contacting the Newcomer Welcome Centre at (705) 725-8360
extension 45151 or 45160.
Secondary Students (Grade 9-12)
Ontario Secondary School Diploma Requirements (Grades 9-12)
At the Newcomer Welcome Centre, student success is our foremost priority.
By facilitating a smooth transition for students and families entering our schools from outside of Canada and providing support during their integration into Simcoe County and a new education system, we all experience positive outcomes.
It is our goal to support each family from the initial registration visit through to graduation, through the coordination of established services available to all families of the Simcoe County District School Board.